Passage into Elderhood–Becoming a Wisdom Keeper–2020 Journey
Thérèse and Tere will take you on a journey of exploration into the heart of aging and dying using the ancient tools of ceremony and prayer, Council-sharing and talking stick, quest, and sweatlodge. We will explore how to face our fears and the changes of aging with resilience, grace and equanimity, and how to hone our personal spirituality to support us as we head into the Mystery.
NOTE: To join this journey, participants must join the group by Session #2. After that, the group closes.
Session 1: Preparing for the Journey–Charting our Course. March 21
Essential practices for the budding Wisdom Keeper (these themes will be threaded throughout the 8 sessions)
• Sitting in Elder-Council
• Connecting with our inner elder
• Developing resilience
• The four powers of elderhood
• Aging as a rite of passage
• Articulating a personal vision and intentions for elder years
Sessions 2: Personal Life Review –April 18
• Overview of the intention, value of and methodology for doing a life review
• Quiet time for reflection
• Creating a life-journey chart
Session 3: Deepening our skills at being a sacred Witness–May 9
- More Life Review exploration
- Training in ‘Compassionate Listening’ skills, as we listen to each others life-review stories
Session 4: Grief and Loss–June 6
• Learning how to walk with, make friends with grief and loss
• 2-3 hour Grief Ritual
Sessions 5: Regrets, Fears and the Shadow side of aging–July 11
• Council sharing time, then bringing our fears, regrets and past identities/careers to the sacred sweatlodge fire (with the choice to go inside the lodge or stay outside by the fire.)
Session 6: Making Friends with Silence, Stillness and Solitude–September 2-7 (optional) Optional Quest at Ekone Ranch. Read more about Quest here. The Quest will include other participants beyond those in the “Passage into Elderhood” group.
Session 7: Preparing for Death and Dying Well–Oct 3
• Stories of good deaths and difficult deaths.
• Practical preparations for death
• Spiritual practices to prepare for death
Session 8: The Journey as a Wisdom Keeper begins! –Nov 21
• Witness each others visions/intentions for an inspiring elder chapter
• Wrap up and closure of this chapter of this journey!